Sometimes you can get by on leftovers from the night before for lunch; other times you're busy and want to save your leftovers to avoid cooking again! Enter my solution for lunch for the entire week.
Lunch for the Week Sandwiches
Here's what you need:
- Lots of grill-able veggies (I used about 4 pieces of squash, 1 onion, and 1 pepper)
- 2 blocks tofu or (sustainable) meat
- Cream cheese (I used veggie cream cheese - great flavor!), humus, bean puree, or other condiments that you like
- 5 Whole grain bagels or 10 slices thick bread
- Cheese (optional - you can omit this if you're using cream cheese)
And here's what you do:
1) On Sunday evening, fire up your grill and let it get hot. If you don't have a grill, you can fire up the broiler in your oven instead.
2) If you're using tofu, drain and slice it into 1/2 inch thick pieces. Place a lint-free towel on a plate and lay the slices individually on it. Place another lint-free towel over top, and set another plate over it to push out the moisture. Let sit for 15 minutes.
3) If you're using other meat, prepare it however you like, just be sure it's thin enough to fit on a sandwich.
4) Wash and slice your veggies to be about 1/2 inch thick. (If you use eggplant or squash, salt the slices and let the moisture drain out for about 15 minutes. Pat dry).
5) You can get all fancy, if you want, with grill sauces and spice rubs, but I just used olive oil, salt, and pepper on my veggies.
6) I used the same on my tofu slices.
7) Lay the veggies and tofu on the grill in shifts. For the tofu, be sure to lightly rub the grill with oil so it doesn't stick. Grill for 5-10 minutes on each side until it's done. (If you're broiling, lay the veggies on a pan and broil on each side for a few minutes. I recommend pan-frying the tofu -- I've never tried broiling it before).
8) Package the veggies, tofu, lettuce, and everything else into containers. If you have the fridge space at work, you can bring everything in on Monday and just build your sandwich each day. To build my sandwich, I toasted my bagel, added the cream cheese, then added the veggies, tofu, and lettuce. All you need to add is a piece of fruit, and you got a complete meal.
Delicious! What combination of veggies and protein do you think you'll try? What's your favorite easy lunch idea for work?